Saturday, May 4, 2013

Toy Test: Kong Quest Wishbone Food Toy

At work I had added a bunch of new Kong toys to our inventory. Those that know me well have heard me gripe about Kong's business practices and I don't like to buy any Kong products that came about from them pushing a small innovative company out of business. About half of the products they make seem to come about this way.  I use the classic Kongs, the Wobbler, and that's about it from them.

However, they just came out with this new line and I think their creative department actually pulled this together on their own. And it's pretty good. The line is called Kong Quest and it is several different rubber toys that are designed in a way that you can shove food or treats along the length of them. Unlike their standard red Kong classic and black Kong Extreme toys, the materials these toys are made out of is more flexible. There are 3 different shapes, the Wishbone, the Bone and the Star Pod, and  each comes in two sizes and they seem pretty tough. I brought one home for Frodo to test, since he tends to be the type to solve puzzles with his teeth, if you know what I mean. I end up with ten bucks lost and a bunch of small rubber chunks for the trash. 
I chose the small wishbone shape and stuffed it with my favorite treat for stuffer type toys like this - dried lung.


Frodo of course was delighted to give the wishbone a whirl. He did do a bit of attempting to chew it apart but the grooves were open and flexible enough that he felt he could make progress by working the pieces with his tongue so didn't resort to full on destruction.


While I still prefer the Starmark Pickle Pocket to the Kong Quest line because it is so much more durable, this is an affordable alternative to that toy and will hold up to most terriers unless they are really hell bent on chewing it apart.

The other new Kong toy I want to try for Langley is the new Satellite, a kibble dispensing tumbler toy that looks like a great one. So bravo Kong for turning to your toy designers rather than stealing ideas as has been your recent modus operandi.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I made the mistakenof putting mine in the dishwasher at high temperature. They didn't make it...... got distorted to uselessnes.