Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Chunky Monkies

When I saw their photos and heard their estimated weights I assumed these were larger Rat Terrier - you know, larger as in larger bone structure. I didn't realize that while they are bigger girls, they are also overweight girls.

Salinas weighs in at 20 pounds and I'm guessing should be closer to 16 or 17 pounds. She loves to play and I'm sure the weight should come off pretty easy for her.
Salinas from above while she's lying in the grass

Salinas from the side


Chima is the major chunk of the duo. She weighed in at 28.5 pounds and I'm guessing should be more like 22 pounds. I can tell it is affecting her movement and when she sits her legs aren't angled correctly thanks to her needing to keep all that weight supported.
Chima from above

Chima sitting

Chima from the side

I'm hoping to start Chima in the Biggest Loser competition that the Northwest New Rattitude team has going currently. She is late starting the contest by a couple weeks but that doesn't mean she can't try to catch up to the weight loss of the other contestants. Her diet plan is pretty simple right now: grain free, high protein kibble, fed to the weight that she should be, not the weight she is. Right now she's still acclimating and learning the ropes of living in a house and so I can't overwhelm her with a neighborhood walking regimen, but as she relaxes more we'll add some walks as well.

The girls are already exquisitely beautiful dogs and they will just get prettier (and healthier and happier) once the extra weight is off.

No comments: