Saturday, May 25, 2013

Anxiety Takes Many Forms

With some dogs it's impossible not to know that they are afraid or anxious. You reach for them and they cringe, crouch, pee on the floor, maybe roll over and their eyes get big and round. That's what we humans recognize as "fear". But the reality is that dogs, just like humans, have many different ways of showing their anxiety and it isn't always what we expect it to look like. It's not always that obvious.

My foster girls Chima and Salinas show fear in pretty opposite ways. Chima's anxiety shows in a somewhat obvious way. She is very careful around humans and somewhat stand offish. But I have heard people call this type of behavior "defiant" and that is definitely not the case. When a dog or a person is fearful their focus and ability to learn things is compromised. They aren't refusing to do something because they think they are better than you or because they rule the house. They are afraid and the last thing they are thinking about is a "sit" or a "down".  They are thinking "how the hell do I get through this without getting trapped/yelled at/hit". Heck, they could be thinking something else even but it's definitely not "I'm the boss of you."  I digress.

What I want to talk about today is a way anxiety is shown that is probably toughest for people to understand and relate to as true anxiety. It is the clingy, hyper, crazy playful kind of anxiety.  I mean, there is such a thing as a hyper dog that has nothing to do with anxiety. I foster terriers for God's sake - I've met these dogs. But sometimes that non-stop movement is not playing, it's pacing. Sometimes that panting is not from laps around the yard, it's a sign of stress. The pulled back lips that look like a happy smiling dog? Look at the full picture - could just be a tight tense face combined with panting.
Sal  when we were working on training, which is a little stressful since she  is so worried about making sure she pleases her person. I've also learned since this photo was taken that she is afraid of the clicker.
Salinas after her first short walk - quite anxious! Look at her tight  face, ears pulled to the side and panting .
And here's a rare photo of a relaxed Sal. I only have a few. Note how her  cheeks aren't all full of tight ridges and  check out her cute folded ears, mostly flipping to the front.

Unlike Chima, when Salinas gets nervous she seeks out comfort from people. She can't stop moving and rolls around, mouths your hands and feet, play snaps at faces, kicks around, all the while trying to keep as much of her body plastered to you as possible. If her human moves into a space that is inaccessible, like when I go into the gated kitchen, panic can ensue. She paces, runs about the room, and constantly checks in with Chima for reassurance until I come back into the room and then I get a double dose of her love attack.

It's not that I don't enjoy being appreciated, but I sure hate to see her in such constant worry and with such low confidence in herself. So while I'm rewarding Chima for coming close to me and seeking out attention from me, Sal gets rewarded for relaxing or kicking back when she's not next to me. I'm rewarding separation in a sense. Because at this point she is unable to relax for the most part we are breaking it down. We start out with her next to me on the couch, wiggling and twirling and flailing away. Then I start some massage - first a belly rub which she both adores but is also worried about - but that slows her down enough that I can then massage her ears. And that seems to be really help Sal settle, relax, and be able to just hang out next to me without needing to be velcroed to me. At least for a little bit.  Below are some photos that show the process we go through right now.
Lots of jumping and rolling around and constant movement
And lots of mouthing - not biting or snapping but play type of mouthing like a puppy would do 
Wanting a belly rub but still worried.; she's slowing down and still now
After some ear work she's starting to relax a little more
Back on her tummy but still a little mouthy
More ear work
And finally she is getting settled. Just hanging out and chilling for a while...

Treats seems to get her more hyped up so really here the reward is the emotional response of feeling settled and the reward of attention and touch. At least, as a beginning trainer that's what I think is reinforcing the behavior.  As she begins to be able to settle apart from me I will bring treats back into the mix.

She's got a long way to go, but with help and continued training, her confidence will grow and her need to pace and constantly move will slowly subside. She'll always be a playful sweet girl, but the goal is to get her to a place where her she's free of the anxiety that currently is a big part of her day.



No comments: