Saturday, February 2, 2013

The Rescue Bag

Anyone who has dogs probably has a few dog things in the car: the extra leash, poop bags, maybe a bag of treats and a doggy water bottle?

But when you regularly have new dogs coming through your house with new issues, it's important to be prepared. After a few dogs vomit or poop in their crate on the drive home, you learn real quick what you need to have on hand.

A couple times a month I meet rescue transports, take 3-5 dogs home with me, and then hand them off to be transported to their foster homes the next morning.  Add to that the vet trips for my own foster dogs and that's a lot of driving around with dogs who could possibly puke in my car.

Frodo checking out the newly organized dog bag
A friend and I were chatting about the stuff we had in the car for dogs and I realized, it might make a little sense to get all of it organized and in one place rather than having it rolling around all over the car. I grabbed one of my Mountain Hardware storage cubes that we use for dog stuff when camping and it was PERFECT! (Sorry, I get a little excited about organizing things.)
Frodo contemplating whether he can sneak off with the can of treats
Anyhow, here's what's in my kit:
  • old towels that can be thrown away should the clean up job be so nasty that I don't want them in the washer
  • garbage bags in various sizes, since the mess size can be from a tiny turd all the way up to epic projectile vomiting
  • Antiseptic wipes
  • Capstar - an immediate flea killing treatment to give the new dogs who invariable come complete with fleas and ticks
  • treats to lure dogs out of their transport crates and convince them I'm pretty great
  • martingale collars with ID tags so the new dogs will immediately have ID on them
  • 2 regular leashes
  • 1 slip lead for very skittish dogs so I can keep my hands at a distance and out of the crate
  • roll of poop bags
  • water bottle with attached doggy water dish
I have other stuff behind the seat in a pocket for my personal dogs, but this is the main stuff I carry for the rescue dogs. Do you have any favorite items to carry for dogs in the car?

No comments: