Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Rocket update



So Rocket seems to be getting around more but he's still very sensitive about his leg. At first I was worried that the surgery might not have worked, since the vet's assistant said he should be touching down on it now. He's not, but I think that it's a combination of the fact that he's very sensitive about his leg after so many years of it hurting and that the muscles are tight. He's super careful and will yelp like he's been stepped on if you get too close for his comfort to his leg, even if you haven't touched him. On top of that he's got it pulled up at all times and the muscles seem really tight. I have been massaging it and after I stop (he won't tolerate it for more that 30 seconds or so) he will go walk and then stretch the leg way out behind him, straightening it.

He's also laying on that side of his body now sometimes, on top of the leg, so I think that the pain isn't that bad at this point.

He comes to work with me so I will regularly be massaging his leg and hopefully soon he'll start using it again. He did touch it to the ground last night, which was a first since the surgery, but he hasn't done that since. I just need to be patient with him because he's gone through a lot in the last week. He'll start using the leg when he's ready to.

On a happier note, I will be doing the home visit tonight of the couple who has applied to adopt him. The references have been checked and everything looks great so he should be going home very soon. Thankfully they have very good vets who I know and they will continue the care that New Rattitude started at the Edgewood Veterinary Clinic.

No comments: