Friday, March 11, 2016

Sucker

We typically foster just one dog at a time and currently our very well mannered, handsome house-trained foster boy is Obi. Apparently he's just too easy a foster dog for me though because my friend Lynn just talked me into taking in a puppy.

It's been awhile since we last had a young puppy and after awhile my common sense of avoiding fostering young puppies wears off. Puppies are a LOT of work. They need socialization outings, house training, extra vet visits for vaccinations... So apparently a puppy provides me with 6 to 12 months of puppy cuteness immunity and then my anti-puppy antibodies fade away.

The photo that did me in. Do you see those tummy spots?!

Lynn messaged me and sent this photo and said "this pup was just dumped at Big Potato Market. Do you want her? If we take her it will keep her out of the shelter." I was unable to resist her spotted belly and said yes I would take her.

While it doesn't seem like a puppy needs rescue because they are so adoptable, one of the reasons we take a puppy like this is to keep her from being exposed to the diseases that are often present in the shelter. THey do their best but when you have hundreds of stray animals together in one place it can be a dangerous place for animals with immature or suppressed immune systems.

Since she was found at the Big Potato Market we decided to go with a potato themed name. She will be named Tate.

Tate will be arriving next weekend and we will see how this pack of 7 to 14 year old dogs handle a 10-12 week old pup. I'm sure I'll be anti-puppy again in no time but in the mean time while I am not having to clean up the messes and keep her entertained I will bask in puppy love.

No comments: