Saturday, June 14, 2014

Welcoming Hartley to the Pack

While there was the threat of rain today, so far it's been pretty dry so I took advantage of that and started working at introducing Hartley to the rest of the crew. She met Frodo last night and they were completely fine together but I know sometimes it can be a bit intimidating for new kids to meet "Thelma and Louise" aka Chima and Sal.

Hartley giving Sal a sniffdown

We started out meeting Salinas and that went pretty well. She's great with introductions as long as the dog doesn't try to hump her or spend too much time with their nose in her butt. Hartley did a bit of lip curling but we kept everyone moving and I weaved in and out between the two of them so there was never enough time for either to get offended at anything. Then it was back inside for a break.

Chima, Salinas and Frodo

About an hour later I let Hartley and Salinas out and then brought out Chima on a leash with a treat pouch at my waste to keep everyone's attention on me. Chima did really well and after a few minutes I let her off leash and then played a recall game with her to keep her calm and also to keep her from obsessing about Hartley. By playing this way she would get a short chance to sniff at Hartley but I would call her to me before there was time for Hartley to get worried and curl her lip. Chima would tear back to me, get reinforced for being such a good girl with a bit of jerky and then off she'd go back to her investigations.

Hartley

Salinas

We spent about 15-20 minutes this way and then everyone went back inside for some separated nap times so we could end things on a positive note before anyone had a chance to get overwhelmed and snippy.
Hartley is still a bit nervous but it's just her first day and she's had to meet 4 dogs AND have a bath so I can't blame her. 

I'm proud of them all. This was their first time meeting and we were able to get all the dogs out at the same time. Hartley stayed calm and was even able to relax enough to continue her tour of the back yard. In a few more days she should be all settled in and one of the pack.

Hartley's definitely a pretty girl


No comments: