Thursday, June 26, 2014

Fences are Awesome

I didn't realize how much peace and sanity that a fence brings to the life of a home with dogs. Logically I knew it was helpful, but it wasn't until our fence was failing and then for the last two days, torn out, that I realized how much easier it makes my life. I had lots of time to ponder the ways fences are awesome during the last two days that I've been taking five terriers out for potty breaks, one dog at a time since apparently they can't pee if I am holding two leashes. Heck, they could barely pee on leash at all.

The completed new fence

Old fence. This is actually a pretty good section of it. 

This all started because a neighbor behind us has a large, unsocialized male dog who likes to pound his shovel shaped head and 75 pound body against our fence. Since our fence was probably over 20 years old, this meant that he regularly popped boards off and broke rotting posts. Hoping it would buy us some time, we nailed up chicken wire. That didn't stop boards from popping off but it bought me time to get to the fence line as he threw his head into it. Every time I let the dogs out I was terrified that this would be the time that he would blow through it and attack my dogs.

New fence in progress...

And my dogs aren't blameless by any means. Chima and Sal will call off the fence when the dog is out but Frodo goes apoplectic. He actually starts things by freaking out and barking at the dog. The dog then starts to growl and throw himself at the fence. This gets Frodo even more worked up and being a terrier, he's pretty sure he can take that Pit Bull. He may just be 10 pounds but in his heart he's a Mastiff.
The dogs inspecting the completed project

So we had a new fence build and it is spectacular! The old fence was 4.5 feet and this one is 6 feet. There are some high spots that noses can poke under so we need to put some landscaping pavers along the base of one side but all in all, I'm impressed.

One of the high spots we'll be working on

Frodo spent a lot of time inspecting it but for the most part, the girls could care less. They were more interested in the piles of dirt from where the post holes were dug. Chima had to nose through all the piles to find any nice large rotting hunks of wood to chew on.

Frodo did the most detailed inspection of all

1 comment:

SkipperBowran said...

Great looking fence, but you also have a great looking yard!