Friday, July 5, 2013

Search for a special collar

Salinas has skin sensitivity to metal and where it touches her skin regularly (tags and collar hardware) she will develop a bad rash and the hair falls out. We've been letting her skin heal up and for awhile I haven't had a collar on her since she had actually developed sores there before I realized what was going on.

However, I am a firm believer that I a dog should always wear ID, even if they are microchipped. People don't just have a chip reader laying around in their closet (unless they are a dog nerd like me) and if one of my dogs bolts I'd much rather have them back within hours rather than wait and hope the person who found them will take them into a vet to have them scanned.

Adding to my nervousness of Sal not wearing any tags was the fact that the 4th was nearing and I wasn't sure how she would react to the fireworks if one went off while she was outside on a potty break, and then the fact that she is so extremely determined in her hunting of critters. Even though we have a solid slat 5 foot high cedar fence, those girls are so tenacious that I can't see anything stopping them from getting to what they want, if they have enough time to work out the problem.

When I was at work I came up with an idea. I bought a Spindrift Cozy Collar and an Outward Hound Tag Bag. Instead of sliding the collar through the loop for it on the back of the tag bag, I attached the tags to the collar and then wrapped the bag and velcroed it around the tags and metal hardware on the collar. So now she has all metal covered and she has soft polar fleece against her skin.

Of course, she would much prefer going without a collar as you can tell by these blurry photos. But we are crossing our fingers that our set up will outlive her desire to remove it from her neck. So far, so good.

No comments: