Monday, July 8, 2013

Salinas at the Meetup

Since I'm working with Salinas on being less dependent on Chima, today she went alone with me to the Seattle Rat Terrier Meetup on Mercer Island. It was a perfect day - mild temperatures and while the park was busy as it always is, it wasn't as crazy as I've seen it on nice temperate days.
Arriving at the park, a bit nervous and wondering what  adventure I'm dragging her to this time

She was much less nervous walking over to the small dog area than last visit and I was proud of how well she handled all the strollers and scooters and big dogs that passed by. Last time she spent a lot of the walk hiding out behind me but this time she walked by my side and only once chose to hide as we made our way across the busy park.

Hanging out with Maddie and Maddie's mom

There wasn't a huge turnout, but it actually was nice since it didn't get too crowded. We saw several former New Rattitude dogs there - my sweet foster boy Tofu aka Tofer, and three of Julee's fosters: Reynvaan aka Rain, Syncline aka Maddie, and K aka June.
Getting to know June

And getting to know June a little better
June and her oh-so-handsome brother, Bogart

Other than getting snappy a couple times when other dogs where crowding her trying to get to my treat bag, she did wonderfully. She followed me around mostly, but after the first 30 minutes explored more on her own, getting some good sniffs in with the other dogs. She seemed to especially like June's Rat Terrier big brother, Bogart, who's a pretty handsome guy.

Salinas hanging out with Bogart

So great work for Salinas! She definitely was a little out of her comfort zone, but she handled it beautifully and enjoyed a nice chewy scapula on the drive home as a reward.

Checking in with Troy to see if he has any more treats when we get back to the car

Ready to head home!

No comments: