Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Getting ready to head for home

Langley will be living with his new dad in Redmond for another month or so and then they will retire to their house on Orcas Island. Langley is going to love being able to RUN, RUN, RUN in the fenced acre he'll have. His dad was nice enough to send me some photos of where he and Langley will be retiring and I am jealous! It's absolutely beautiful.  I did warn him he might need to add some protective fencing for his beautiful garden. Langley can be a bit like a runaway train when he gets going.
Looking up towards Langley's new home

Looking down the drive

Pocket beach near Langley's new home on Orcas Island in the San Juan Islands of Washington
Because most of my foster dogs get adopted in a month or two, I'm not used to having to track vaccinations, etc. for a foster dog. While his DHPP vaccination is good for 3 years, his first Rabies vaccination was just a 1 year vaccination so he needed a 3 yr Rabies booster as well as an annual Heartworm test so he'd be ready to go home. 
Langley was watching the bottom of the door since you could see when people walked by.

He actually did really well at the vets. As you can see in the photos he was definitely anxious and he struggled to focus on me when I talked to him and tried to catch his attention. However, considering some of the past visits that Langley and I have had at vets, this was downright amazing in comparison. It helped that he didn't see or hear any other animals while he was there. He spread the love around standing up at the counter on his hind legs and looking over to get the veterinary assistants' attention so he could dole out kisses to everyone. He even gave Dr. Sutherland kisses while she was taking his temperature, which I thought was quite generous of him. 
You can see by his panting and tense face that he was quite worried about being there, but he stayed true to his nature and was sweet to all humans, in spite of his stress.

When we got home he bounced back by the evening and was doing great. Now that Langley himself is ready to go home, I've got plenty of work this week gathering his items to go home with him, filling prescriptions, picking up a bag of his food and most importantly pulling together the "Book of Langley" which will have all his vet records, behavioral vet consult plan, tips and info about working with him, a dictionary of all the cues/behaviors that he knows....  I've got a busy week ahead of me if I'm going to have him ready to head home on Friday.

No comments: