Sunday, December 2, 2012

Surprise! A new arrival

I've been super excited that Salish would be arriving soon.  She was scheduled to arrive next weekend and I have her file folder all ready for her paperwork, her collar and tags set out, an extra large crate set up for an extra large rat terrier...  Then I got a call from Lynn letting me know that two 4-5 month old Rat Terrier mix puppies were in danger and about to be put to sleep.  They had been at the shelter for a couple of weeks without interest so their end was near.

The problem was that Lynn isn't set up for temping puppies so she could only pull them if we could take them up here instead of the 2 dogs I had already planned to bring up for me and a fellow foster parent. We both agreed to the switch so the puppies could be saved and we planned for the male pup to arrive this weekend and then my pup (who would come up instead of Salish) would transport north on the 6th.

Then on Thursday at 5 pm, just hours before the transport was going to arrive to pick up the dogs, I decided that I didn't want to have to meet yet another transport next week. I called Lynn and asked her if she thinks she could get our new pup on this trip.  The transporter said there was room for her and Lynn managed to get her a last minute health certificate to travel and just like that our new baby was on the way.
Apple enjoyed some snuggle time yesterday
 
 
 
Her name is Apple (I don't think I need to explain the Washington tie-in here ) and she's a 4-5 month old Rat Terrier mix.  We think she may have some mini Dachshund in her mix as she's long and quite short.  At only 5 pounds she's the tiniest gal we've fostered in quite awhile, but her size doesn't slow her down, in spite of the fact that she's got a cold right now.  She's pretty confident and hasn't learned to be afraid of Langley (we're trying to keep it that way) and her and Neah play great together.  And did I say that she also loves to snuggle? 



 
 
My guess is that this cute young little gal will be adopted in no time and then sweet Salish can come up.  In the meantime, her and Neah are enjoying a lot of playtime together.

No comments: