Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Why Rat Terriers you ask? Cuz Frodo's the MAN!

I often get the question "what made you choose Rat Terriers?" You have to realize that if a person asks that question they have never had the joy of having a rat terrier as a family member. To have one is to love one, and quite possibly to be aggravated with them at the same time.


My answer to the question "why Rat Terriers?" is "Frodo".  He is the reason that I do what I do. Is he perfect? No way. He's irritating, loud, a bit snarky, and has acted like an old curmudgeon since puppyhood, but I wouldn't want him any other way.  He's travelled all over the West with us - backpacked, canoed, camped and hiked even though he hates to get his feet dirty (or God forbid wet!) He's filled up our hearts in a way we never thought was possible.

Baby Frodo: 8 weeks old
We did all the things that make me roll my eyes at applicants wanting a young puppy. Frodo was an 8 week old pup, purchased from a breeder (at least we did research and visited the breeder before buying him) and our reasoning was we didn't want to get a messed up dog. Oh, and he was a gift for our son's 12th birthday. While I did do research into the breed, I'll admit that the cuteness sucked me in. I had no clue about rescue and was pretty clueless about pet overpopulation.  I just wanted a cute pup and I wanted him now.

So on Christmas Eve 7 years ago we brought home an 8 week old Frodo and by the time he was 8 weeks and 1 day old we were completely smitten with him. By the end of our first year with him I decided I wanted to help rescue other Rat Terriers and so our journey began.

Frodo hiking on the Pacific Crest Trail in Mount Rainier National Park
On a hike along the Skagit River in Newhalem, WA
Catching some zzz's in the tent on a camping trip

In Hells Canyon National Recreation Area during one of our many road trips

Since then we've fostered over 70 dogs and it all started because Frodo shared with us the absolute awesome sauce that is the Rat Terrier!  I know that if he had it his way he'd be an only dog but on occasion he does slip up and actually enjoy playing with a foster dog or two. So thanks sweet Frodo for being such a great ambassador of the breed.  His blend of intelligence and strong bond to our family is amazing and he singlehandedly has turned me from a person who wasn't even sure they wanted to have a dog to a crazy dog lady.

No comments: