Saturday, August 9, 2008

Introducing: Sprocket

I was doing the breakfast dishes, mindlessly looking out the window, when who should appear in my driveway, but Kathy, my Ratbone state coordinator. I knew she had 5 dogs being flown in from Texas today, but I assumed that since I already had a puppy that I was temporarily watching (Sofie) that I wouldn't get anymore fosters until she went home. Surprise, surprise! She was dropping off our two new fosters and we would just keep the young puppy, Sprocket, quarantined until Sofie went home.

It was a happy surprise though. Sprocket and Tilly are settling in and Frodo is busy letting them know that everything worth chewing on belongs to him. So, crates are being scoured, dogs are getting baths, paperwork is being filled and photos being taken. Busy, busy, busy. At the same time my two nephews were visiting so I had 3 teenage boys here. They were very helpful though, keeping one of the dogs downstairs with them.

Right now I'll tell you a bit about Sprocket. I'll post about Tilly tomorrow, as I still need to get photos of her and I want to hold off on her sad, too common story.

Sprocket came from a shelter in Garland, Texas and with his sister and three other dogs from the shelter, was flown to Sea-Tac airport this morning from Dallas. He's 9 weeks old and cute as a button - full of puppy playfulness. He weighs 2 3/4 pounds right now so he will likely be miniature sized, maybe around 10 pounds? His coat is a blue/gray black color, velvety and beautiful, and his ears which are folded now, will likely be erect in the next few months. The shelter believes him to be rat terrier-chihuahua mix, but we'll see if his snout continues to lengthen as he grows. This boy may be all terrier.
I'm sure that this boy will find a home in no time and as soon as he's old enough to be neutered he'll be heading to his forever home. Either tonight or tomorrow I'll introduce you to Tilly. She has truly been rescued from an awful past and is now starting down the road of learning that the world isn't always a scary place.

No comments: