Monday, January 25, 2016

Sweet Potato Fries

I decided to try dehydrating some sweet potatoes for the dogs this week and see what the think. Really they aren't the greatest product testers though since they eat anything, even things they aren't supposed to like squeakers, toilet paper tubes, you get the picture...


So I dusted off my very basic dehydrator and sliced up some sweet potatoes. No need to peel them. Some people like to do slices and use them as chews but my dogs will swallow things whole and I worry about them choking on slices so I cut mine into sticks. Then just load up your trays. My sticks took about 14 hours to dry but if you have a food processor you could do thinner slices and they'd dry quicker.



They turned out great, my dogs love them, and they make a great healthy treat. I immediately stuck apple and mango slices in the machine to see how the dogs like those as well.



The next thing that I want to try is drying chicken strips although I'm a bit worried that my machine gets warm enough and so I might do them in the oven instead.

1 comment:

Annie said...

Those look great! I just finished a batch of sweet potato treats for the dogs but I sliced them thinly with a mandoline; Next time I am going to try the sticks. They might last longer than a split second with Skip.