Friday, August 8, 2014

The Off Button

A lot of times you'll hear me and other Rat Terrier fans talk about Ratties as a terrier with an "off button". That's because while they can be crazy and full of terrier energy if they are getting the exercise they need, they can also just chill out in the house if nothing interesting is happening.

Serra kicking back on the warm deck

Serra is no exception to this rule. While she loves to chase her tennis ball and romp around the yard, if I'm working on the laptop she is typically snoozing at my feet or on the dog bed next to where I work. Even outside she eventually will slow down and rest in the sun.

Resting on the dog bed next to where I was working on my laptop

Certainly, a few of my foster dogs have been missing this "off button". Most of them where either Rat Terrier/Jack Russell mixes or some of them were full Jack Russells. But for the most part Rat Terriers love a mix of energetic fun followed by lazy snoozing in patches of sun. I'm not dissing Jack Russells but I have lots of friends who rescue Jacks and they will be the first to tell you that Rat Terriers are sweeter, calmer versions of their very smart and often delightfully naughty dogs.

Taking a nap between my feet while I work on the laptop at the table

No comments: