Wednesday, February 12, 2014

My Mind Was Blown

Sue with one of her dogs

Over last weekend I attended a two day seminar featuring Sue Sternberg speaking on "Sociability vs. Aggression in Pet Dogs". The first day covered dog/human interactions and the 2nd day we talked about dog/dog interactions.

I know that it's been a good seminar when I walk away full of ideas I want to try. But I know it is a GREAT seminar when I walk away and my mind is blown. That was the case with this weekend. My mind was blown - she ripped apart some of my former concepts of things like dog play, puppy interactions, dog/human interaction, shelter dog behaviors... I walked into it feeling like I had a pretty good grasp on dog body language and communication and left understanding what a novice I was and reviewing in my mind every foster dog placement that I've been a part of. 

I had planned to write a series of posts on the dog to dog interaction side of things with tips for dog parks, etc. But now I'm still flummoxed as to where to begin. In fact, I feel like I need to go see the seminar again because this first time round I need to steep in the information for awhile and then the second time I can really focus more on details.


Anyhow for anyone working with shelter/rescue dogs watch for Sue Sternberg to be in your area lecturing. The dog/human portion of the seminar is so helpful with determining the adoptive placements of dogs as well as assessing which dogs to put in which foster homes. And then the dog/dog portion of the seminar is something I wish everyone who has a dog would attend, especially if they take their dogs to dog parks.

But until then, if you have an iphone, for just 99 cents you can download her Dog Park Assistant app which helps you understand your dog's play style and gives you tips while at the park for things to watch for in your dog's behavior and other dog's behavior towards your dog. Pretty great idea!

And then if you are interested in her seminars she has a lot of great videos like "Train to Adopt", "Dog/Dog Engagements Between Unfamiliar Dogs", "Understanding Sociability" and more. She's an engaging speaker so you will enjoy watching these. Find her videos at GreatDogProductions.com



No comments: