Thursday, August 15, 2013

Off to Work We Go

Puppies need lots of experiences in new places and when they meet new people and dogs, their humans are setting them up for becoming confident and happy adults.

With that in mind, I decided to bring Juniper and Mesquite to work with me. I work at a natural pet food store so there are plenty of chances for them to meet people and dogs.

The trick to good puppy socialization though is to make the experience a happy enjoyable one for the dog overall. If it's very unpleasant for them, you've just reinforced to the pup that the world is really scary.

Wrestling time in the play pen

These two pups are pretty nervous so to start with I am just keeping them in a playpen behind the counter so they have lots of space and can see things from a distance without feeling threatened. They get lots of chances for new experiences while they chew on bully sticks, play with fun toys, and wrestle. I did try to introduce them to a large, sweet dog at one point and Mesquite was okay with it - just a bit nervous. But poor Juniper shrieked like she was about to die. Obviously she needs to work up to close up meetings of large dogs.

Snoozing  after tons of play time

After about an hour of all this excitement, the puppies were completely spent and crashed for the rest of my shift. It was a good start and I plan to keep bringing them to work with me.



No comments: