Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Cocoa puff

So, I rescue rat terriers, right? Well somehow I have found myself in the middle of trying to save a very puffy, overweight dachshund named Cocoa. A lady came into the store wondering if we knew anyone who wanted a dog. It seems that in October the previous owner had a brain aneurysm and the dog was kennelled until February when this friend took her. Now the lady is planning on travelling and doesn't want to be tied down by a dog.

I told her I would take her and find her a good home, but the lady seemed reticent about letting her go once the reality of saying goodbye set in. She was supposed to bring her back yesterday, but called and made some excuse about her car breaking down. At this point I don't know what will happen, which is sad because within one day, Jillian, owner of the pet store, and I had not one but 3 possible homes worked out. If indeed she does turn the dog over I am sure that one of the three excellent possibilities will pan out.

I looked over her vet records and this purebred chocolate dachshund is current on shots and spayed, a rarity in rescue dogs. The vet notes that her ideal weight should be around 15-18 pounds but I'd say that she currently weighs closer to 25. With a good walking routine and some healthy, grain-free food she would lose those pounds in no time. So cross your fingers and think good thoughts for Miss Cocoa-puff. There is a great life waiting for her, and I hope she'll have the chance to experience it.

No comments: