Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A Last Romp

On Sunday night Izzy and Bess took one last romp together around the living room before Bess started her heartworm treatment and had to be kept crated and calm. From the video you can see that Miss Bess looks very healthy and robust.

Well yesterday, when they ran the hearworm test to check the level of her infection we were sure they were going to come out and tell us she was either a low positive or even that the shelter had run a false positive test. Ends up poor Bess was high positive and will have to go through a double treatment protocol. They ran a chest x-ray to determine if she was a level 3 or 4, and thank goodness, her heart looks normal so she is a level 3. She received her shot, was kept overnight, and this morning I went to pick her up.

The poor thing looked so scared. I carried her out to the car and gave her some rawhide to chew on and put her in her crate with her favorite blanket and bed. She settled right down and started chewing.

When we got home everyone got fed and I added the herbal anti-anxiety drops to everyone's food to keep everyone calm. Heck, I even squirted some in my coffee because, lord knows after the weekend/Monday that I had, I needed some as well.

Now everyone is resting calmly. I added some milk thistle to Bess' food to aid liver function while the chemicals are still in her system. She's also getting probiotics and Omega 3 and 6 to help boost her immune system.

Later I'll run by the Pet Market and pick up some more yummy chews that will keep her from getting to bored. I have some drugs that I'll use to relax her during the critical days, but for the next few days we are going to try to do things naturally. Seeing as there are 4 dogs and a teenager in the house, this may be more difficult than expected, but we'll take it one moment at a time and adjust the plan as needed.

For now, everyone is sleeping and the house is unusually quiet for one that has 4 terriers in it.

No comments: