Sunday, February 28, 2016

Choosing Obi Part 2: The Videos

A few days later when the shelter employee was back at work she sent me 4 videos to review and see if I was still interested in meeting him for an in person evaluation.

When I watched the first video of Obi with a volunteer that he knew in his kennel, I became very worried. If this was his normal then he was more of a project than I felt ready to take on.

In the video you can see how he is taking treats from the lady which is great, however after taking the treat he avoids touch and runs back to his bed creating distance between them. If this was someone that he knew well then how would he be with strangers?! Of course, the setting is in the kennel and you can hear the commotion that goes on in that part of the shelter. And every time he is taken from that area he has to walk past the dogs who often will charge the kennel doors growling and barking. Scary for a little guy!

Time to watch the next video - Obi meeting someone he's never met before.

Well, I felt much better after watching this one. It became obvious that it was the noise that was causing the majority of Obi's avoidant behavior. This video was filmed in what looks like a lobby area and it is away from the noise of the kennel area. While he still isn't feeling entirely comfortable with this man, he is taking treats from him and allowing him to pet him without trying to retreat. Very good to see!

Then I watched the next video showing Obi with his volunteer friend in a quiet room. MUCH better. His behavior change from the noisy area to the quiet is like night and day. He could easily have moved to another part of the room but he is enjoying the attention and stays with the volunteer.

Finally I watched the video of Obi being leashed up (which he finds scary according to the shelter employee) and then being led into a room where there is another small leashed dog.

Nice body language on Obi's part and he didn't freak out when initially meeting nose to nose on leash. They circled nicely getting their sniffs in and Obi does his best to calm things down a bit since the other dog is so excited and pushy. He looks away and moves away a few times until he feels ready to approach again.

I shared the videos with my friend to get her opinion but after watching them felt very comfortable with meeting Obi at the shelter to assess him in person and if all goes well, transfer him over to New Rattitude's care and take him home with me. I am feeling about 95% sure that I will pull him from the shelter when I meet him later today. Stay tuned...

No comments: