Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Allergies - Our Next Food Trial

Well, so far we've had only so-so results using the Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Fish and Sweet Potato food (mix of kibble and wet). He still has a pretty red belly, and his skin there is scaly and rough almost like eczema.

Since my goal is to get him to a place where his skin is healthy and rash free, I think we are going to switch up his food to try something different. I initially chose the Natural Balance not because I love the food but because it was limited ingredient, a novel protein, and also not so expensive or hard to find that adopters wouldn't want to feed it.

Well, at this point I'm throwing the "not so expensive or hard to find" out the window and just going with a high quality, dehydrated food with raw sardine mixed in. When I worked in a natural pet food store I had many customers who swore by a raw diet for dogs with allergies. My personal dogs eat a raw diet with a bit of Honest Kitchen mixed in and I really like the Honest Kitchen line of foods and supplements. I chose the new base mix called Honest Kitchen Kindly that is grain and potato free, and very low carb. Since yeast likes to dine on sugars, a low carb diet is always good for a dog who suffers from chronic yeast infections.

Then mixed into the rehydrated veggie/vitamin mix I am using raw, ground sardine from Primal since sardine is such a great source of omega 3's.

Right now we are just starting a slow transition onto the new food. He has not been a picky eater and seems to like it so we'll see if we start to notice some changes for the better with his skin.

If this does work and I can get him healthy then we will start some trials of other proteins to try to find some other options for him since it is always best to rotate foods for your dog.

Wish him luck!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck Rigby!
My rat terrier looks just like Rigby and also had terrible skin problems!! But then I started adding a probiotic to his dog food and it cleared up in a few days. We use FortiFlora (Amazon). It made a world of difference for us, so if this helps Rigby...might be worth a shot.
Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Good luck Rigby!
I have a rat terrier that looks just like Rigby, and he also had terrible skin problems!! He went through a tough time before I discovered FortiFlora. It's just a probiotic that I add to his food. (I get it on Amazon)
You're doing a great job with Rigby...just thought I'd share this in case it helps.