Monday, October 13, 2014

Adopted!

Who's adopted? Salinas is! And where is she going? Nowhere. We have thought long and hard about this since we really never wanted to add another dog to the pack, but the reality is that Salinas has pretty much been ours for awhile now and so we are making it official and adopting her.


The longer she was with us, the clearer it became how strong the bond between Sal and Chima was and how difficult a time she would have if she had to be separated from her, even to go to the very best of adopters. Unlike Chima, Sal is pretty brittle when experiencing new situations and environments and although we work on this she's never going to be a dog  who happily embraces change without her sister by her side. She finds life a bit scary and having Chima there to blaze the way gives her a bit of resiliency that she doesn't naturally have on her own.


And Chima would have struggled with the loss of Sal as well although she is more resilient so would have eventually bounced back, I believe.


We didn't just adopt her because it would be tough for her to manage life without Chima, though. She's a wonderful, sweet dog who is full of love and snuggles and does great with other dogs so she is a wonderful "addition" to our family.


So for those followers of "The Great Adventures of Chima and Sal" there will be many more posts to follow with I am sure, many more laughs. They are definitely a couple of very silly girls.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congrats! Sometimes there is nothing more fulfilling than failing a foster! I have my own failed foster that I adore so much, I knew almost immediately that she wasn't a dog I could send out into a 'normal' home. And now she's my favorite pup out of all my babies!