Wednesday, September 3, 2014

A Trip to the Vet

Rothko does this weird thing where when he runs fast he lifts up his rear right leg. After having Maile with her knee issues I was a bit panicked so I made an appointment to have his knees and hips checked out at the vet.
In the reception area, waiting to be called back


As with all new things Rothko was a bit concerned but willing to trust that I had his back. He sat between my legs as we waited to be called in and then later sat in the chair next to me. It was very cute.

Checking in with me to make sure I'm still there and everything is cool

Dr. Joe checked him out and Rothko's knees were nice and solid with equal muscle mass in both legs (meaning he wasn't tending to favor one leg enough for it to get built up larger than the one he was lifting). Because it's obvious that Rothko has lived pretty rough (he's missing the tip of one ear and has lots of little scars on his face) and because he tends to sit "side saddle" Dr. Joe wanted to check out his hips with an x-ray for any healed fractures that might be causing a structural issue. The x-ray looked wonderful - no signs of former fractures, nice straight spine, all just how it should look.

In the exam room, doing more waiting for the doctor to arrive

So Mr. R was cleared for full exercise as Dr. Joe can see no reason for the leg pulling up.  One thing that dogs from Central CA will regularly do when they get to wet Washington is walk with three legs on the wet grass, as if they want to have as few body parts touching the grass as possible. Salinas still occasionally does this so I have to wonder if that might be what is going on.

Puppy the clinic dog knows me well thanks to all my foster dog visits and always sits in the waiting area with me since she knows I always have a treat pouch full of kickass treats. Cutest clinic employee there!

Regardless, he has a clean bill of health, weighs 17.3 pounds and Dr. Joe guessed him at closer to 3 years than 2 like the shelter had guessed.

No comments: