Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Suki sits and stays!

Just giving a happy update on Suki's training. We've been working on the "sit" command and she caught on very fast. Let's just say that she is VERY treat motivated - well, and she's pretty smart. She has "sit" down so well that I decided to move on to the "sit-stay" today. I do quick little 3-5 minute training sessions several times a day since she's still only five months with the attention span of a gnat. After just two short seconds we managed a 10 second "stay"!!!! Wow!

Frodo is loving all of this training because he gets to take part and earn treats right along with Suki. Seeing as he's been able to sit and stay for almost 2 years, he's thinking "man has this dog got it easy! Where's the "spin", the "roll over" the "high five"!"

I've recently discovered these great training treats that are made in the Seattle area called "Simon and Huey's Doggoned Tasty Treats." They are made specifically for little dogs and are about the size of a rabbit pellet (sorry for the gross description but the peanut butter and molasses treats could easily be mistaken as such). They are made with all natural ingredients, and remind me of the hippy health food cookies that my mom made me when I was a kid - peanut butter, molasses, oat flour, and unsweetened carob (yes, I tasted one.) They are super soft and I actually split the tiny things in half when we train. I just bought some of their "bacon bit" treats and the dogs are equally excited about them. And no, I'm not being paid for this ad. :) It's just when you find a great, healthy, tiny treat for little dogs you have to spread the word!

No comments: